Monday, June 24, 2013

Hammerwatch - Top 6 Reasons You Should Play This Game

     I was up all night last night until the sun came up. I was huddled around a crowded TV with some friends just like the good old days. We were over there to see how far we could get in a game called Legend of Dungeon, but that's a different matter entirely. The real star of the night was Hammerwatch. With controllers in hand and a case of Mountain Dew, we played for hours. It's only in beta testing right now, and is available for pre-order on Steam. It's very much like the old dungeon crawler Gauntlet. There are a number of reasons to give this game a try.

     1. Tons of fun with friends. The game is really fast paced. We played for about 7 hours straight, and even after beating the beta content I'd still enjoy replaying it. The survival mode is incredibly hard, also.

     2. Each class plays differently. Paladin, Ranger, Wizard, and Warlock are the 4 classes currently available. Each plays a distinctly different way, and the level system allows for some customization of each along the way.

     3. It's only in beta testing, and bound to get better. The final form of the game will come with 12 levels, and when that gets tiresome there's a level editor that comes with it so users can create extra content.

     4. It's challenging. Only Act 1 is available for play currently, and even on medium difficulty we died as a party 4-5 times before eventually killing the boss, and we only made it to the end of wave 6 in survival mode.

     5. Supports modifications. Think the game isn't hard enough? There are ways to make it more challenging without changing the difficulty. You can enable constant negative health regeneration, a shared health pool among teammates, or disabling mana regeneration.

     6. So much nostalgia. I love these types of games, and used to play games like Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes, Champions: Call to Arms, and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with my friends as we were growing up. This game takes me back to those times, and I love it.


     The only reason I can think to not play this game is if you're bothered by the old school graphics. They're an upside to me. Go to Hammerwatch.com to download the beta or pre-order it for only $8.00. It's also available through Steam I believe.

                         Single player: 7.0/10                                       With friends: 9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment