The OUYA console was released this week. I got to spend some time with it today. It takes all kinds of controllers, and comes with one of its own. The controller shipped with the console is large and bulky. It feels kind of like a wider version of the Xbox controller and it also has longer grips. The buttons and joysticks are identical to the Xbox controller, but the joysticks are harder to move. They feel heavier and have more resistance than what we're used to. There is a touch screen in the middle, but I didn't get to use it. I've heard that it's overly sensitive.
The upside to the console is that it can use every other type of controller and/or bluetooth device. We all hooked up Xbox controllers. There's also an app for different devices that let you use them as controllers. Tablets can be made into keyboards, and I think iPods can too. I'm fairly sure you can just hook up a normal keyboard, too. Don't hold me to that, though.
There's a multitude of emulators available, and most of the games available now are reminiscent of Bomberman and a lower graphics version of the Assassin's Creed multiplayer. You can also download old arcade games and games as far back as the SNES. The store is pretty easy to use, and looks just like a Netflix menu. Most of the categories in the store are pretty meaningless. The only useful ones show what's hot, genre separations, and featured. The games out for it are extremely simple right now and feel a bit like games you'd find in Mario Party. Users can create their own games, though. This is a huge leap for console games, and will allow for the community to play the kinds of games they want to play.
No comments:
Post a Comment